musings on travel, international living, development aid, politics, turkey (the country more than the meat) and anything else that comes to mind...

Thursday, October 4, 2012

(Already) Back in Africa!

The saying goes that once you've drunk from the Nile (a somewhat vile thought that is nonetheless indirectly true for most people who've spent time in Juba) you always come back. So I'm generally not surprised to be back in South Sudan... I just didn't think I'd be back so soon!

For those that don't know, I'm helping fill a management gap in a field office for an NGO for the next 6-7 weeks. With my job search in Boston still continuing (even from South Sudan), I'm happy to be adding funds to a bank account that has been rapidly going in only one direction for the past several months and even happier to get 'back in the game' so to speak.

Turns out, against all odds, I actually missed Juba a little bit... who knew? It's been almost six months since I left but there will always be a special place in my heart for the cackle of a local laugh, a 'rolex' in my belly every morning and the seemingly never-ending intellectually stimulating (say that five times fast) discussions. At the end of the day this is a challenging place where moving from A to B is about as easy as multi-variable calculus. As a country they have a ways to go to get where they want to be, but they'll get there. Someday.

Alas, today is Thursday. I was supposed to be at my field site already but, in true South Sudan style, I was not on the plane manifest for Wednesday and today's charter flight carrying medical supplies (and me) to the inaccessible northern part of the country failed to leave because... well... let's just chalk it up to a misunderstanding (and not multiple layers of incompetence, because that would be mean). So I'm supposedly on a charter flight in the morning. As long as it doesn't rain tonight.

Or there's not enough fuel.

Or a herd of cows doesn't decide to sit on the runway.

South Sudan oyeee!!