musings on travel, international living, development aid, politics, turkey (the country more than the meat) and anything else that comes to mind...

Sunday, May 13, 2012

From India: I'm Famous in India

Well, to be a bit more precise, Lauren is more famous than I am. As I had mentioned in a previous post, Indians love to take pictures with white people. They probably see me as some massive freak of nature and Lauren is substantially more attractive than I am, so it's understandable that she's a much bigger draw. At the very least neither of us has red hair...

To her credit, she was always a very good sport about it. Her Miss America wave needs a little work but other than that she's absolutely ready for her impending post-HKS fame.

It's weird to think that our pictures are going to be in some random Indian family's living room in between the yellow silk flowers and massive Hindu god mural... or passed around on a cell phone by Indian teenagers as the latest check mark in some sort of never ending scavenger hunt. The price of fame I suppose?

Lauren tried to rationalize this (undeniably odd) behavior by saying that we'd probably do the same thing if we saw Tibetan monks roaming around 6th street in Austin or the Lincoln Memorial in DC.

I beg to differ.

Unless it's a two headed labrador retriever or a Republican in summer not wearing khaki pants and a blue button down shirt, I'm not stopping. Although, now that I think about it, I might just have to stop the next Indian I see in Boston to take their picture; if nothing else to see the confused look on their face.

Thanks for the amazing time India... we're off to Bhutan!