musings on travel, international living, development aid, politics, turkey (the country more than the meat) and anything else that comes to mind...

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And the adventure begins...!

As some of you know, Lauren and I are about to head out (on Friday to be exact) on an epic trip from/to DC, heading east. As it stands at the moment, we're planning on visiting the following countries in the next 3 months:

  • Turkey
  • India
  • Bhutan
  • Thailand
  • Cambodia
  • Laos
  • Vietnam
  • Burma/Myanmar
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Japan
Although we have tentative dates, we have purposefully not planned everything out because we'd prefer to wing it, go with the flow, shoot from the hip, etc. Notable exceptions to this not planning tomfoolery include getting a visa for India (an extremely annoying process by the way, especially if you are unemployed vagabonds like us with no address to speak of - if you're traveling to India, make sure and get your visa sorted out well in advance...) and getting a tour company to organize everything (visa, flight, accommodation, etc.) for our stopover in the Dragon Kingdom.

 

For those that didn't know, I recently left my job in East Africa in anticipation of said journey and before moving to the northeast (of the US that is). Now you know and we can be friends. And, now that we are friends, if you are currently in any one of the aforementioned places over the next three months feel free to comment or drop me an email/facebook message/tweet/homing pigeon/etc.

 

I plan to use TTT as a travel blog of sorts over the next three months, so check back in periodically to hear of our shenanigans, view the no-doubt mountains of photos (including photos of mountains) I will be taking at picasaweb.google.com/eyayboke, and/or put off having to write 246 TPS reports about widgets manufactured in China.

 

For the tech nerds out there, I have decided to only take my iPad on the trip to handle all computing needs (of course I still have the Galaxy S and an obnoxious amount of camera equipment too). As someone who is generally attached at the hip to my MacBook Pro, this is a fairly monumental decision. I recently downloaded the iPhoto and Blogsy (from where I am uploading this post) apps to help me along the way. If you have any other recommendations please do drop them in the comments.

 

Ta ta for now and stay tuned!