musings on travel, international living, development aid, politics, turkey (the country more than the meat) and anything else that comes to mind...

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Random Thoughts

After living in Iraq with limited ability to do anything but work for a few months, I appreciated the following things much more than I used to on my two week jaunt to Turkey: Lauren, my family, bodies of water, restaurants, the US health care system, cherries, sunflowers (even the sad ones), non-armored cars, the sound of the ocean and the taste of fresh simit in the morning.

I've decided I really like plums, although not ones that are soft. Also, dates from Medina taste better than dates from Iraq.

After discussing the difference between Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant Christians with one of my employees, I quickly erased the white board, less out of fear of reprisal and more out of fear that everything I said was completely inaccurate.

Glade's "I Love You" scented spray (probably only available in Iraq) does actually smell like "I Love You."

Stories of how we are positively affecting the lives of Iraqis never get old.

One should never take a good role of Scotch tape for granted.

Note to self: please remove pictures of your girlfriend in a bikini from picasa before showing the album to your Iraqi colleagues during Ramadan.

Despite my insistence to the contrary, 'fag' means cigarette to my Australian colleague.

Playing futbol with the neighborhood kids is difficult in sandals, especially after one of their parents watered the concrete creating a sea of mud. Solution: crocs with a strap at the back... genius.

I must find out who this man is and congratulate him on his perfectly shaped, and well-tanned, mid-section: